The Winter of My Content

Winter is not my season.
It's not warm.
It's not hot.
It's cold.
It's even been known to be very cold.
Like today. And it's not even winter yet.

The only thing I like about winter is hot chocolate, coffee, my two sets of fleece sheets, my three sets of flannel sheets, my thick fleece throw, my fleece-lined leggings, the car's super wonderful heat, my portable heater (I have three, its a big house), hot tea, soup... get it?
Anything hot or warm.

Most anybody who knows me knows that I don't go many hours in the winter without talking about how winter is - just - not - my season. I'm that girl in the "Boys of Summer" song. (singing = You can see me - my brown skin shinin' in the sun - I got my hair combed back - sunglasses on baby...) enjoy song here

But things have been strange lately (like the last few years). When I go outside in the cold winter air, unless its windy and bitter - winters aren't so bad.  It's almost never as bad as I imagine it to be, which is me, frozen like a statue, dying of frost bite right after my icy tears freeze midway down my frozen face and my blood stops flowing because it too, has frozen. I die and am shattered into thousands of teeny icy bits.
You'd be surprised to know that its never happened quite that way.
Actually, the cold can be slightly refreshing.
It's not so bad at all. Shhhhh!

So, I still catch myself singing my same old blues standard about the winter, but it's getting old and I am tired of it.

I have grown to enjoy life immensely.  I love living.  It's getting better and better, this navigating life thing and I am so glad to be here, as me.
And so, it does seem a bit ridiculous for someone who claims to love life so much to complain 5 out of 12 months about how miserable one is because of temperature!!

I need to find the good in winter.  Like:

  • The plants & flowers are all resting, something I also love to do. 
  • The pretty frosty smoke stuff we breathe out when super cold. 
  • The sky is a special kind of vibrant blue in the winter.  
  • Fresh snow is kinda miraculous.
  • Wearing cute and warm fuzzy-on-the-inside kind of boots EVERYDAY.
  • And, its possible that the cold air is a kind of cleanser - sanitizing all the hot sticky fun had in summer so we can start anew in the spring.  
So that's it!
Winter's as good as any season to live a life. Wouldn't you say??  I'm going to bundle up, make a pretty scarf to wear, and go and live some more life, right out there in the middle of winter.
And I won't complain (that much).

I will be happy - I will be be alive - I will be content!
This is THE WINTER OF MY CONTENT




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life's Wonders

More happiness thoughts

Cancer's Really Really Mean